Ten.Three Hundred & Ninety-Eight
1. I miss the tall grasses and the faint scent of Queen Anne's Lace.
2. Coffee. Leftover potatoes. Bright sunlight. Water from the sprinkler hitting the windows. Where did the cicada go?
3. I watch Monarchs chase one another. Then there's a cricket jumping around my feet. Then a giant bee. This week has been the week of insects.
4. Ruined plans.
5. I am not the only one trying to navigate a relationship with an elder that just won't go right. I feel saddened that so many of us are experiencing that disconnect, but also comforted in knowing that I'm not the only one.
6. Their house is under contract and while I'm happy for them it makes me sick to my stomach. At this point, everything is subjective. We know the home shows well. We know the home is priced right. We know that it has the best lot in the neighborhood. Someone will see it and they will love it like we do. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.
7. I pile leftovers onto a baking sheet and warm them in the oven Mostly pieces of roast chicken, Brussels sprouts and turkey burgers.
8. Everyone says to be patient.
9. It's quiet on the street tonight. Except for the house with the newly engaged couple. There is laughter and car doors slamming shut. Sprinklers and the rattle of bike chains. I press my feet against the stone in the alcove.
10. Hot shower. So hot I can barely stand in it. Even with the fan on the steam almost chokes me. And yet it still feels good.