Ten.Five Hundred & Seven
1. I slept another full hour past the alarm.
2. Towels and pillow cases. The woman working the self-checkout is extremely patient and helpful.
3. John Mayer Live album from so many years ago. I’m back in my red Dodge Intrepid in The Cook Out drive-through.
4. It’s hard to sing with a mask on.
5. Toilet overflowing. Waves of blue water and tissue rolling onto the floor. The panic.
6. I clean the kids’ bathroom and then mine. Toilet overflows again. Panic.
7. At the table, hunched over a bowl of chicken tortilla soup, I declare that I’m done plunging other people’s poop.
8. I am now mopping the floor. I spend the majority of my time cleaning up after others. Sometimes it feels like a waste of life. How do I shift this workload?
9. But always return to gratitude.
10. He leaves. I finish folding towels still hot from the drier, vacuum our bedroom floor and then smudge each room before hopping in the shower.
10.1 Solitaire and a glass of Hahn Pinot Noir while the sauce thickens.
10.2 Schramsberg sparkling wine. Conversations about what makes us uncomfortable.