Ten.One Hundred & Sixty-Two
1. I already said we were having waffles. But there is no syrup. It snowed last night and there are still the tiniest snowflakes blowing in the wind.
2. The other two have to come with us to the game. I make them sit on the end of the bench.
3. We win, but not in the way I want us to. They're all missing the fundamentals. At 10, you need to know the fundamentals. We'll work on that after Christmas. Today, we enjoy the very narrow victory.
4. The upside of having people over is that you have to clean. A lot. And so at least I know that tomorrow I'll be able to sit by the fireplace and enjoy my clean home.
5. Chicken tortilla soup, salsa, guacamole, chips, cornbread muffins, apple crostada.
6. I tell them that my inspiration for this dinner is from my best friend and since my husband said I couldn't invite the whole neighborhood, that I wanted to start with them because of how well they've treated us and my children since we've lived here. That this coming together is my way to say "thank you."
7. Margaritas and wine and fireplace and loud talking.
8. My little introverted self can totally do this again.
9. Someone brings up the California thing. Are we moving? I don't know. Do we want to? Yes. Is it gonna happen? We hope so. Is it gonna happen soon? We have no idea. We just know we're grateful to be where we are.
10. I just want all of them to sleep in tomorrow.