Ten.One Hundred & Seventy-Eight
1. I am still up before the first light even though last night I tried to tire myself out by shoveling and salting the driveway.
2. The littlest one comes in 6:15.
3. The middle one comes in at 7. I ask her if I can just brush my teeth first.
4. One by one. Flying paper. Ripped cardboard. Fire. Mimosas. Christmas.
5. The tiny basketballs keep knocking over my jars of feathers.
6. The light coming through the foyer window, pale gold in color.
7. I do like tidiness. Refinement. Simplicity. The classic and studied beauty. Details matter.
8. But after today everything goes back to the way it was before. Which is not a bad thing but it is still a thing with which I know I will wrestle.
9. I’ve eaten too many gratin potatoes and I don’t regret it.
10. 2009 Cyrus from Alexander Family Vineyards.