Ten.One Hundred & Six
1. The fire is still burning.
2. She arrives today. It’s been two years. Too long.
3. I dress myself and then undress myself to start the cleaning. The rain is falling hard. I’ve been up since 2 in the morning; the white flashes of lightning and booming thunder made it hard to sleep.
4. I put headphones in my ears and find the cloths and sprays, start another load of laundry, pretend that I can’t hear anything but what’s playing through the ear buds. I’m sorry (not sorry) that I can’t hear you.
5. The water is high is some places. Where was this rain last month? I’ve been thirsty for a long time.
6. The museum is mostly empty and so we can sit and catch up. I want to continue to nurture my friendships from the old neighborhood. These are the ones I trust the most.
7. Pie plus bananas plus ice cream plus tortillas plus cheese.
8. They are here.
9. It’s the first time I’ve seen all five of them together and I’m in love with the way they family. Can “family” be a verb? To family is to love.
10. Of course we talk until 1:30 in the morning.